I am such a film fanatic. I love films…. anything from Disney to Action to Horror to Romantic Comedies. We (the hubby and I) have so many films of DVD and are constantly adding to our growing collection. Some people spend money on collecting coins or stamps or comic books – we collect DVD’s. I would say we have easy over 400 films on DVD – however we will easily have double that number of DVDs as we also collect box sets! There is something lovely about getting all nice and cosy either on the sofa or in bed and watching a film. I have a LOT of favourites – however my top ten are below:
- Shawshank Redemption: This is my favourite film EVER! I love ever single second of it and have seen it so many times. Morgan Freeman is hands down one of my favourite actors which probably says a lot about why I love it – but I also love the story especially the relationship between Brooks and his bird. Just an amazing film from start to finish and it still draws a tear to my eye even after having seen it so many times!
- The Rock: This film surprises a lot of people as it’s quite action packed and very “blokey” however I think it’s a great film. I love the story; however, I think one of the main reasons I am so intrigued by is it is because its set on Alcatraz (the island where the prison was based and housed some of America’s most violent criminals from 1934 to 1963) and I have a weird obsession with historic places of interest (I love Abbey’s and ruins and old monuments).
- The Green Mile: This is the second Stephen King Novel in my top ten (Shawshank Redemption is based on a Stephen King booked called Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption) and it’s a tear jerker. It’s a long film however the story is brilliant, Patrick Michael Duncan played the part of John Coffey so well.
- Forrest Gump: Tom Hanks is such a talented actor and I love this film as not only is it a cosy watch – its about one man’s pledge (with the support of his mum) to live the most amazing life despite being slightly slow witted. Its such a lovely film and I have seen it so many I can almost recite it word for word!!
- My Best Friend’s Wedding: Julia Roberts is one of my favourite actresses and I adore this film. I remember the first time I saw it – I loved it all. I loved the songs and the story and again this is a film I have seen so many times I know it all off by heart.
- The Wedding Singer: The one thing I love about this film is the fact its set in the 80’s – the decade I was born in. The music is fabulous and so is the fashion. Such a great film.
- You’ve Got Mail: Sure, some people see this as Sleepless in Seattle poor sister – but I prefer it. Again, it’s a Tom Hanks film but I love the story and it’s such an easy film to watch.
- Transformers: Technically this could be three films (well 5 if you count the two latest ones which are no where near as good) but I love the first three – especially the second one. I am such a lover of action films – and love the whole space element to this as well!
- Independence Day: This film is in my top ten as it appeals to my love of space…. And I would like to think that we aren’t alone in the universe!! Great film and I would LOVE to go to Area 51 (not just to the border which is all you can do…Grrrrr!!!)
- Now and Then: I remember going to see this film with my mum. We went to see this on 17th June 2016 as my dad took my brother to see France vs Spain at Elland Road for the Euro 1996 group match. I was a very similar age to the younger characters in the film when I went to see this and thought the film was so great – about 4 friends who are always there for each other. I still watch this now and even love the soundtrack!!!!
So, there you go – some cracking films in my top ten. I hope it inspires you to check some of them out if you haven’t seen them – I can guarantee you will not be disappointed!
Until next time
Katie x x x