As a teenager I often considered myself as quite lucky. Sure, I had a few spots like any teenager would – but I didn’t suffer as bad as I know teenagers can. As I turned 20 – my skin went downhill. I began getting horrible, huge spots on my face, neck and back. I just thought it was my skin routine – I kept trying lots of different products and as my skin is quite sensitive I thought most of the time it was a reaction to those.
Once I got engaged to my hubby – the spots became so sore – especially at the top of my back and my skin was awful. It seemed that no matter what I tried, nothing worked so I resorted to visiting the GP -who prescribed me with some medicated cream that had peroxide in. The number of towels I ruined because of this cream was crazy. Yes, the cream did work – for a while however rather than my skin looking spot free and healthy – it looked spot free and extremely dry (as the cream dried my skin out!!! I was at my wits end and knowing that my wedding was around the corner – I went back to the GP for further advice – and was then prescribed a low dose antibiotic to take every day. I was warned however that I would need to stop taking this two weeks before we went on honeymoon as the antibiotic made my skin thinner and I that going into direct sunlight would causing additional issues (burning etc.) however as I was desperate to have clear skin for the wedding – I went ahead with taking them.
On my wedding day – my skin was perfect – but within a few weeks of being off the antibiotics – it was as worse as it had been before. My main issue appeared to be painful and awful blackheads – that are so sore. I always thought it was because of my skin being dirty – however that is not the case – it’s because I have large pores.
After a few years of trying and trying to find skincare ranges that work on my face – I now have a routine in place that appears to work (I still get a breakout monthly – but nothing as bad as before)
- Removing make up: I always, always, always remove my makeup. I never go to bed with it on. I never forget to take it off. I use face wipes (Simple micellar cleansing wipes are the best) and I always make sure that I take it off as soon as I get in from work.
- Cleanse, Tone and Moisturise: I have always cleansed, toned and moisturised my skin from being 19 years old. I have tried numerous different skin care ranges – however the best range for my skin is the Avene Eau Thermale range – especially the cleanance expert range. I use the cleansing gel, mattifying toner and expert moisturiser. They are fabulous, and my skin LOVES these products so much!!
- Long lasting foundation: I use a long-lasting foundation as my skin is very oily – and sometimes by lunchtime I appears my make is dropping off my face!! I have trialled a few – but my favourite is Boots No7 Stay Perfection Foundation. It lasts all day and my skin still looks matte even after a long day at work.
- Face mask: I use a face mask once a week to clear my blackheads out. I have tried the Avene Eau Thermale scrub/mask – but as you can use it as a scrub or a mask in one and I find that its too harsh for my skin as a mask. I have been using a Simple face mask for a very long time and my skin appears to like it. Its easy to put on and wash off and the bonus is that you only need to leave it on for 3 minutes!!!
- Make up free days: I try to have a make up free day at least once a week. I still cleanse, tone and moisturise, however don’t put any make up on to allow my skin the opportunity to breathe.
So far, these tricks seem to be working for me. I would love to know what your skincare routine is – and if you have any tips or tricks on any improvements I could make – so drop me a comment on here or on any of my social media accounts – it would be great to connect with more people.
Until next time