It’s hard when working full time to be inspired to make yummy food for dinner when you get home. It’s so easy to fall into the trap of making something quick and easy that requires no preparation. Something you can put in the microwave or get out of the freezer and put into the oven. Or even worse – just make some toast or cereal. And I agree – it is VERY tempting to do that, especially if you have had a hard, busy or stressful day (or sometimes all three!) however growing up I was lucky as my mum always made some really yummy, tasty meals for us when we got home from school and work. When I moved out I wanted to make sure that continued, so I looked at lots of different meals I could make that were quick and easy.
The biggest thing is to be organised when doing your food shop. I stick to a list and a meal plan (which is also great as you don’t have to wonder around a shop aimlessly wondering what you need to buy, and it also saves money!)
My top favourite mid-week meals are:
- Fajitas: I love fajitas as not only are they easy to make they are also healthy too. I use either diced chicken or turkey breast and add peppers, carrots, onions and either kale or spinach. They take ten mins to prep and 15 mins to cook and we use the Old El Paso fajita making kits that you can pick up in any supermarket.
- Stir fry: Stir fries are so simple and easy to make. You can literally throw in whatever you want in a stir fry. We always use either chicken or turkey breast and then use whatever vegetables we have left in the fridge. I sometimes make my own sauce with chilli’s, garlic and soy sauce however most of the time I use a pre-made mi31.00x from the supermarket (Blue Dragon Chow Mein is my favourite along with Street Kitchen’s Teriyaki meal kit) and serve it with either noodles or rice.
- Maggi So Juicy kit: These are just a revolution. They are so cheap £1.00 max in most supermarkets) and there are many different varieties to choose from. A quick prep of the food and then place it in the oven for 40-50 mins and its then done. Again, we serve with rice (boil in the bag which takes ten minutes) or roast potatoes (I am planning on buying an Actifry to make these!)
- Sizzle Steaks: These are so quick to cook (max of 5 mins) and i serve them either in a crusty roll with chips and peas or one their own with chips and stir-fried vegetables.
- Pork Steaks with roasted veg: This is my hubby’s favourite meal. I marinade the pork chops in honey and mustard and leave them to cook in the oven for 50 mins under the meat is tender and the marinade has gone sticky – they taste so yummy! I also prep a tray of vegetables and roast these in the oven for 25 minutes and serve with rice. Delicious!!
- Savoury Mince: I can’t call chilli con carne or Bolognese sauce anything other than savoury mince as if I do then my hubby won’t eat it (strange I know) but it’s so easy to make and throw together and so tasty saved with either rice, tortilla wraps (like a burrito) or mash potato.
- One rice Pan: This is a set from Old El Paso that you can pick up in any supermarket. You add chicken breast and vegetables and follow the instructions on the pack and it is seriously so delicious I could eat it all the time.
- Naan Bread Pizzas: This is a take on a recipe I had seen from Nigella Lawson. The naan bread is the base of the pizza and then you add tomato puree or passata and then add pizza toppings of your choice. I then place them under the grill for 10-12 mins and they are so yummy nd tasty i love them!
So, there you go – those are some of my quick, easy and tasty mid-week meal ideas. Please let me know if you think any of them sound delicious and you are planning to make them or if you have any ideas about what else I could make
Thanks, and until next time
Katie x x x